History

Kesting Inoculate Walker Moonshine
shadow

CONTACTING US

Main Office

Dance
School of Education
UW-Madison
Lathrop Hall
1050 University Avenue
MadisonWisconsin  53706

Tel: 608/262-1691
Fax: 608/265-3841

Email: uwdance@education.wisc.edu
or by contact form
 

History of the UW-Madison Dance Department

In 1926, under the leadership of Margaret H'Doubler, UW-Madison became the first university to offer a degree program in dance. The Dance Department housed one of the first Interarts and Technology programs in the country and currently offers a BS and BFA in Dance. Located near Lake Mendota, the state capitol, and downtown Madison in Lathrop Hall, our facilities include the state-of-the-art Margaret H'Doubler Performance Space, four spacious dance studios, a multimedia lab, and resource center. Madison is a major center for dance in the Midwest and has a strong history of community patronage. Recent graduates have taught in the schools (K-12 and higher education); started their own companies; danced with major dance companies throughout the U.S., including Urban Bush Women, Pat Graney, and Nikolais/Louis; and run their own studios. Annually, the Department produces 5-6 faculty and student concerts.


 

Lathrop Hall

Early photo of Lathrop Hall.

© 2018 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System • Please contact the School of Education External Relations Office with questions, issues or comments about this site.